On Friday, President Trump declared a national emergency due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Governor Kemp declared a public health state of emergency on Saturday morning. Both of these will give our Federal and State governments powers to continue to limit the spread of COVID-19 and to treat those who are infected. There are currently 99 reported cases of COVID-19 in Georgia, none reported in Walton County and there has been one death in the state.
Our City continues to monitor the situations and will continue to provide essential services while minimizing the risk to residents.
- If you have any business with the City, please call (770) 464-2380 before going to City Hall. The front windows will be closed. You can pay utility bills through the drop-box and the drive-thru window will be attended during normal business hours every day at least through the end of March.
- The W. H. Stanton Memorial Library announced on Friday that they will be closed beginning today until further notice. Their online resources are still available and if you need access to Wi-Fi, you can access it from the parking lot. The password is library.
- The Social Circle Senior Center announced on Friday that they will be closing starting Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 27. They will provide shelf-stable and frozen meals to the seniors, for pick up on Monday, March 16.
- Social Circle Transit will continue to provide services, with limitations on passenger loads to avoid close contact between passengers.
- The Georgia Secretary of State, Brad Raffensperger, announced that early voting for the March 24 election has been halted and the election is being moved to May 19, the date of Georgia’s other primary elections. This does include our local election for the District 3 City Council position. All votes that have already been cast will be counted for the May 19 election.
- The City Council Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 17, will still be held. You can view the agenda online (https://socialcirclecityga.iqm2.com/Citizens/Detail_Meeting.aspx?ID=2008), and the meeting will be streamed live on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/cityofsocialcirclegeorgia/. There are a number of public hearings on the agenda. If you wish to make comments but prefer not to attend the meeting in person, you may submit your comment in writing at the City Hall drive-thru or email CityCouncilPHC@socialcirclega.com by noon on March 17. Those comments will be presented to council during the meeting and will be made part of the record.
The Georgia Department says that the best way to prevent contracting this virus is to avoid being exposed. They make the following recommendations to prevent the spread of coronavirus:
- Protect yourself and those that you visit:
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid close contact with people
- Avoid large gatherings
- Protect others:
- Stay home if sick
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Wear a facemask if sick
- Clean and disinfect often
Please continue to monitor official State and Federal sources for continuing information, provided below:
Walton County Updates - https://www.waltoncountyga.gov/
Georgia DPH Updates - https://dph.georgia.gov/novelcoronavirus
CDC Updates – http://coronovirus.gov