The Social Circle Complete Count Committee for the 2020 Census needs you! The first meeting will be July 12, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm at the City Hall Conference Room. This meeting will feature a workshop about the program presented by our census representative. We need people from all over the community to serve on the committee. If you would like to be a part of this important program, please contact Barbara Schlageter, email@example.com, 770-464-6905.
Why is this important?
Every 10 years, we count every resident in the United States. The census counts our population and households which provides the basis for distributing more than $675 billion in federal funds annually to support states, counties and communities’ vital programs — impacting housing, education, transportation, employment, health care and public policy. Social Circle will receive $2300 a year for 10 years for each person in our City who is counted during the census.
The 2020 Census provides an opportunity for everyone to be counted. Community involvement plays a key role in developing partners to educate and motivate residents to participate in the 2020 Census. By participating on the Complete Count Committees (CCC) program you can help create awareness in your community.
You can play an important role in the 2020 Census:
- Utilize your local knowledge, influence, and resources to educate our citizens and promote the census through locally based, targeted outreach efforts.
- Coordinate cooperative efforts between our community and the Census Bureau.
- Help the Census Bureau get a complete count in 2020 through partnerships with local governments and community organizations.
Tribal, state, and local governments work together with partners to form CCCs to promote and encourage response to the 2020 Census in their communities. Community-based organizations also establish CCCs that reach out to their constituents.
A CCC is comprised of a broad spectrum of government and community leaders from education, business, healthcare, and other community organizations. These trusted voices develop and implement a 2020 Census awareness campaign based upon their knowledge of the local community to encourage a response.
The formation of CCCs is happening NOW! Leaders are identifying budget resources and establishing local work
plans. In 2020, they will implement the plans and lead their communities to a successful census count.
The primary goal of the 2020 Census is to count everyone once, only once, and in the right place.
Community influencers create localized messaging that resonates with the population in their area. They are trusted
voices and are best suited to mobilize community resources in an efficient manner.
It’s up to all of us! CCCs know the best way to reach the community and raise awareness. Some activities could include:
- Holding CCC kickoff meetings with media briefings.
- Participating in Census rallies or parades.
- Coordinating Census unity youth forums.
- Hosting Interfaith breakfasts and weekend events.
- Encouraging the use of Statistics in Schools classroom resources.
- Incorporating census information in newsletters, social media posts, podcasts, mailings, and websites.
- Helping recruit census workers when jobs become available.